Thursday, May 14, 2020

I ran today...

I ran today. Not fast, and I never run in a way that looks pleasant. But, I ran nonetheless. Well, I ran and then I walked, and then I ran a bit slower, and then I walked some more; then one of the kids called to check on me and I decided that may be a good time to stop and stretch...sure.

But I ran. As I ran, I thought. As I ran, I watched. As I ran, I prayed. (Thinking, watching, and praying are all easier for me during the walking portions.)

I got passed on the sidewalk by a much faster runner and thought...my first response was to encourage him in his work, as runners often do. I thought, my first response had nothing to do with COVID, masks, social distancing (which became less and less of in issue with each passing second; that dude was fast), or the news. I thought like a runner. It felt normal. If felt human. It felt nice.

I thought as I watched him pull away, that neither of us seemed to run with any fear. I didn't run looking over my shoulder. I didn't run, wondering who was in the car at the intersection. I ran without concern. I thought about Ahmaud Arbery and his family. It didn't feel normal. It felt all too human. It didn't feel nice.

As I ran, I watched. Today was a beautiful day, and I watched it. I watched the birds fly, the traffic move, and I watched people move through their day. It felt normal. If felt human. It felt nice.

As I ran and watched, I prayed. I prayed for the people I saw. I prayed for the families at the park. I prayed for the families in the apartments I passed. I prayed for my family; for Amy and our children. I prayed for our extended families. I prayed for our church family and others pastor friends I know who are striving to love and lead people well. I'm a slow runner, I had lots of time to pray. It felt normal. If felt human. It felt nice.

I ran today. I'll be sore tomorrow. I'll run again, I'll watch again, I'll pray again. It will feel normal. It will feel human. It will feel nice.

1 comment:

Kathy Burrow said...

I praise the Lord with a song while I walk. It is a challenge being short winded and trying to sing. But music is in my soul and spills out of me all day long. I am so thankful for the message songs have and how they have always touched my heart.