Friday, February 9, 2018

The day God used a ham sandwich...

Today I was hungry. It was lunchtime so that made sense. I walked to the kitchen and made a simple ham sandwich. Not that I was necessarily craving a ham sandwich, but we had bread. We had ham. We had mustard. Yada, yada, yada, ...a ham sandwich. So, I ate a ham sandwich and a half of a glass of sweet tea.

When I finished lunch I thought, "I want something else."

But then I thought, "Why?"

My hunger had been abated. I had plenty. My body needed food for energy, and sufficient food had been provided. Why did I want more?

I wanted more because I've allowed myself to be conditioned to have more than I need. Not only allowed it, I've run to it. My hunger had been satisfied. I had plenty to drink. I had been able to walk to the kitchen inside a home that is filled with healthy people. I took food out of a refrigerator that was running on electricity inside that house. I turned on a water faucet that brought clean water inside that house. I had just finished running errands in a truck that runs well. I could see to get my food, I could smell it as I prepared it, I could taste it as I ate.

I have so very much. Why did I want more?

I wanted more because I am selfish. I am predisposed to want more than I need. I am conditioned to think that enough isn't enough, but that more is enough. Until it isn't. But I am redeemed to be more than just what I am in myself. I have been made alive in Jesus to be an adopted child of the King, a co-heir with Jesus, and sealed by the Holy Spirit to the praise and glory of God. I am being made more into the likeness of Jesus and I am thankful. Thankful that He is gracious to finish the work in me that He has started. I am thankful that I am loved by God.

I am thankful for how God used the simplicity of a ham sandwich to show me how 'unsimplistic' I am but need to be.

What did you have for lunch?

No comments: